Sunday, July 9, 2017

Teaching Kids to Sew - Project #1

Project #1 - Tissue Holder


I will begin teaching a couple of kids how to sew this week at my Quilters and Crafters meeting at the Church and I have decided to share the projects we will be working on here on my blog with complete instructions and photos for us to reference as I teach them. Feel free to sew along!

We are going to start with a simple Tissue Holder using the tissues you can find at the dollar store (8 for $1). I am sewing in orange thread to help for you to see the sewing examples. I have green thread in the bobbin for the same reason.



Begin with 2 pieces of fabric measuring 6" x 7"



Place the right sides together - pin together to keep them from slipping



Mark with a pencil a 2" opening along the middle of one side



Beginning at the bottom marking, sew around all sides with a 1/4" seam leaving the 2" open on the side to turn




Trim the corners




Turn right side out and iron - don't forget to fold in the opening 1/4" and iron




Topstitch, zigzag, or use a decorative stitch across both the top and bottom edges



Mark the center of the sides with a pin



Fold the top and bottom, right sides together to the center and pin or clip in place



Sew 1/4" seam along both sides 




After sewing one seam, turn the project over and zigzag the edge of the seam for extra stability



Turn right side out



Fill with Tissues


I will post pictures as we begin working on our sewing projects. Hope you find these ideas helpful and fun!

Lavonna ZWB

No comments:

Post a Comment